and now for a little something of substance . . .

Jim Haung is a Trifecta in the publishing industry; an Editor and Publisher of the Drood Mystery Review, a mystery review periodical, an owner of The Mystery Company , an independent mystery bookstore in Indiana, and Editor and Publisher of Crum Creek Press, a small independant publishing house. He reads, reviews, sells, buys, publishes and edits books. He lives the publishing industry and, in specific, the mystery genre.

I met Jim briefly, several years ago in Kalamazoo, Michigan when he owned the now defunct, Deadly Passions Bookstore. Unfortantely, Deadly Passions did not survive to the see the revitalization that downtown Kalamazoo has experienced in recent years. I enjoyed his store, attentive staff, and the events staged there.

In 2004 he was asked by the writer's conference, of Dark and Stormy Nights, to be the keynote speaker. He chose to speak honestly and openly about writing, the publishing industry, bookselling. From his unique prospective, he gives some enlightening and biting critiques of the industry as it exists today. Titled: The conventional wisdom isn't just wrong, it's dangerous.
It delivers.

Here is an exerpt:
"What I’m going do to this morning is talk about a few specific ideas about publishing and about writing, and how they relate to the mystery genre. Now I understand that our genre isn’t necessarily representative of publishing as a whole — for one thing, our genre actually respects the value of rational thought. All I care about are mysteries — I’ve devoted my life to the promotion of this genre, through my newsletter, my bookstore, the reference books that I’ve edited and the other books I’ve also published. Because you’re here this morning, I expect that mysteries are what you care about too.
I’ll give you the bottom line first, and as I rattle off these points, I expect you’ll see how your experience as mystery readers serves you well.
Don’t accept "obvious" explanations, especially when "everyone" agrees they’re true. Think for yourself.
This is a business, and it’s not a bad thing that this is a business.
Stay true to your vision. Like the detective who gathers suspects to single out the least likely as the true killer, know how to persuade others to accept your vision.
That’s my message. Now let’s talk about how these points apply to specific cases. . . "

I have read it several times and come away with something different each time. I hope you enjoy it too.

Popular posts from this blog

To SASE on Not To SASE that is THE Question.

Sex, Bad Sex, and More Bad Sex

Life . . . as we know it