Unblocked and Writing Long Hand

I woke up his morning at 3:30 with a story idea. Afraid of losing it, I immediately wrote it out long hand. The words flowed. They were coherent. The story was actually pretty good.

Later, I typed it out, edited a few mistakes, and printed it out. I plan on doing revisions in a few days and submitting it. I liked the process.

Several months ago, I spoke briefly with Matthew J. Bruccoli about his edit of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Last Tycoon. I told him of my budding interest in writing and asked him for advice.

One of his main points of guidance was to write everything out long hand first-pen or pencil and paper. He said writing on a word processor hurt style.

I was skeptical, but after this morning, I think he may be right – at least for me.

I think it was Hemingway who said that he wrote everything long hand, then typed it out (or had it typed), reviewed and made changes in draft form.


Do you write first long hand?

What do you think about the effect of the word processor as the point of original entry and your writing style?

Popular posts from this blog

To SASE on Not To SASE that is THE Question.

Life . . . as we know it

Writing and the Blues, The Cedell Davis Story