Rejection and Redemption

Yesterday, I received my first rejection letter from Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine. It was my very first rejection for my writing. I must admit it stings. It was a form letter of about three sentences.

It came at an interesting time in my life –on the very day I was to meet a former love to see if our relationship would be worthy of another try – it wasn’t. She rejected me. Our relationship has been over for several months and this last conversation hammered the total and complete end home. Finality. I know it’s for the best, and in deep in my heart, I know she made the right decision. Though, knowing that doesn’t make the pain any less.

I just got back from a trip to see my parents. They are aged and in frail health. I only get to see them once a year. This year may have been the last time I will see them. I tried in vain to say the things I wanted to say to them but the words would not come out.

For several months, I have been taking a personal inventory, looking hard at actions, motivations, and myself. Specifically, how so I have seemed to ruin good relationships with very good women. I feel lucky to be have been involved in more than my fair share of them.

The last few months have been turbulent for me but good in ways that will bear fruit later this year. My personal reassessment has identified several areas that I need to work on, which I am doing. This time has been very painful but also a particularly fertile time for my personal growth and enrichment. The hurt has been beneficial.

Rejection has caused reflection, improvement, and in the end made me stronger. I feel redeemed, renewed, and ready for the challenges ahead.

The rejected story will polished a little more and will be going out tomorrow afternoon to another magazine. I will be reentering the dating scene this week also. I am working out eating better, drinking less, and ready to continue the journey that this life has for me.

Thank you, everyone in blogland that has supported and given encouragement through my rough patches in the road. I will be blogging full strength tomorrow.

Sincerely,

RJB

Popular posts from this blog

To SASE on Not To SASE that is THE Question.

Life . . . as we know it

Writing and the Blues, The Cedell Davis Story